Universal Peace Academy Q&A

What are the basic requirements for entering UPA?

1. You need to be a Unificationist with a strong life of faith, good physical health, and a clear understanding of the providence.

2. You need to have graduated from a 4-year university, or have earned a degree of equal or higher status.

3. You need to have been born after January 1, 1975.

4. You should have a neat personal demeanor, and be physically and mentally healthy.

What kind of qualification does one receive after graduating from UPA?

UPA offers a master’s degree in ministry (M.Min.) from Cheongshim Graduate School of Theology. This is an official degree that is acknowledged not only by the FFWPU but around the world.

Does graduation from UPA guarantee a position in the FFWPU?

The basic aim of the UPA cadets is to become FFWPU leaders in various countries. Ultimately they will be assigned by True Mother to a position in FFWPU according to their grades and skills.

How long is the UPA course?

There is a two-year master’s degree course, followed by a one-year internship abroad. Those entering UPA from the language course will study a total of four years, having one year of prerequisite Korean study before they can enter the graduate school course.

Is UPA only for Unificationist-born young adults?

No. Those who join FFWPU as adults are also eligible, if they fulfill all the requirements.

When does the school year start?

It starts at the beginning of March.

Is it possible to receive two master’s degrees?

UPA offers only one master’s degree.

Are there any holidays?

The vacation is usually two months, and during that period the cadets participate in special summer/winter programs, such as fundraising, outreach, a pilgrimage, an overseas tour, camping, study workshop, hiking, martial arts workshop, etc. They also will be given between 10 and 15 days off during summer and winter vacation periods, but the dates are subject to change.

What is the basic schedule for UPA students?

UPA cadets attend Hoon Dok Hwe (scripture reading) at 6am, after which they have morning exercises at 7am. Breakfast is at 8am, and from Monday to Wednesday the graduate school classes usually begin at 9am. The class schedule differs between individuals, and those who do not have classes can study on their own during that time. Thursday and Friday are open for various UPA-organized programs (special lectures, consultations, sports, etc.).

Dinner is at 6pm, and those who have evening classes attend them. The cadets clean the dormitory every evening, usually at 9:30pm, preparing for the roll call at 10pm. The official bedtime is 11pm, but some cadets stay up later to study.

The weekend programs vary, but they generally consist of special lectures, service work, or projects in different churches.

There are regular programs during the semesters. These include physical tests, pilgrimages, special lectures, activity presentations, English/Korean speech contests, practicing public speaking, and many more.

Is it possible for those who don’t have a full degree, for example, those who have a two-year degree or professional certification, to enter UPA?

UPA is a master’s course, so by Korean law only those who have earned a bachelor’s degree, or a degree of equal or higher status, are eligible to enter UPA.

What kind of jobs are available after graduation, aside from ministry?

True Mother’s wish is first and foremost to educate public leaders in the area of ministry, but it also depends on the abilities and interests of each cadet. UPA was created to educate those who wish to become public leaders.

Why is it not possible to receive the Holy Marriage Blessing while in UPA?

True Mother has asked UPA cadets to wait to participate in any form of engagement or the Marriage Blessing until after they graduate from UPA. This can be explained practically, as the UPA schedule is very tight and offers little individual time. This might not be a problem for couples who already have had some time together and are strongly connected to each other. However, it might be difficult for newly engaged or wed couples.

Does the school take care of the Korean visa?


Does UPA pay for students’ transportation to and from Korea?

No. UPA provides a scholarship which covers tuition, dormitory fees, food expenses, UPA uniforms, and certain other expenses, but not individual expenses.

Back to Home Page